Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Search for the Formula

I have been married for almost a year. Since that time we've learned more about ourselves and each other than we have in the entire eight years we've known each other. I always enjoy learning new things about him, and I'm fairly certain that Rian enjoys learning new things about me. We are still a very young couple in comparison to his parents who have been married for damn near 30 years. These days, reaching those years in marriage is a commendable and rare thing. I've often wondered why people bother to get married if they are just gonna end up divorced in a few years if not months. Many people try to place blame on each other for their relationship failures. Many I've seen blamed parents, money, kids, jobs, friends, infidelity....you name it. But while everyone is focusing so hard on figuring out what makes a relationship and marriage go down in flames, I find that very little are trying to discover what really makes a marriage successful....a formula if you will.

I for one, refuse to end up another statistic. The odds, I suppose are not in my favor as it is said that half of marriages in 2010 will end up in divorce...hmmm. So I sat down outside, in the sun, on a breezy spring day and thought about that. When I became pregnant, a friend bought me a book called, "Life Lessons for Couples" by Cindy Francis. When I first received the book, it seemed like a good idea, but as time passed, I forgot about it.....until the day I sat outside thinking.

What if one by one, I read and applied each lesson to our relationship? What if I consciously made the effort to learn even MORE about myself and the man I've committed my life to? So it is my mission to read every one of her life lessons for couples and apply it to my relationship in hopes that they truly are the formula.

No comments:

Post a Comment